The moment Sam Mitchell mimicked injecting himself as part of a sledge towards Essendon players, I was sure we would all overreact by a fair bit.
Unfortunately, I think we’ve fallen a bit short (no pun intended Sam).
Where are the demands for an inquiry or even a Royal Commission? I mean if that Q and A nonsense is getting one, why not an incident that people actually saw?
We need to understand that children witnessed this incident. The same children who have been already been doing these sort of sledges at school for a couple of years no.
Questions need to be answered like:
- Why is Sam Mitchell using a sledge most primary school kids have already come up with?
- Do AFL players need professional sledge writers?
- Should every runner be trained in one-liners?
- Has this incident been shown enough on TV, could we show it more?
- Why did the various news bulletins bother with other stories when this had happened?
- Is Mitchell’s sledge even in the top thousand worst things Essendon players have heard in the past few years?
- Should miming be allowed on the footy field at all? Or ever?
- Why didn’t Essendon have a witty comeback? Did they think of one late last night and thought ‘damn it, why didn’t I think of that at the time?’
So get hysterical people, this is the biggest thing going on globally at the moment and we need to lift our level of feigned outrage.